- ABOUT Doc JODY
- BERKEY FAQ (Prices, Specs, "Black vs. White")
- BUY Books & Kombucha Starter Kit
- ORGANIC Eggs-RAW Butter
- BERKEY How-to-Order
- Doc JODY: RADIO/TV
Authorized Berkey Dealers
We Carry a full line of Berkey Products.
BLACK "ELEMENTS" vs. WHITE FILTERS
This flow-chart was designed by: DocJODYto help you efficiently decide which Berkey system best suits your needs. BENEFITS of ALL our BERKEY WATER PURIFICATION systems:
1. Relatively LIGHT WEIGHT (even stainless ones)
2. COMPLETELY “OFF-the-GRID”
3. No electric hook-ups!
4. No plumbing hook-ups
5. Portable: move from kitchen to garage to yard to camping back to kitchen, e.g.
7. Free standing... (read on, below)
Doc JODY at FLowWOOLF NATURALS is an Authorized Berkey Dealer.
Question: What is Black Berkey PRICE RANGE?
ANSWER: $228 and up, prices varying by size. See below for details on pricing, dimensions, flow rates, capacities of Black Berkey systems.
QUESTION: Why are WHITE CERAMIC systems cheaper than BLACK BERKEY systems?
ANSWER: White systems are cheaper-- they only filter out about 99% of contaminants, meaning about 1% of contaminants are left remaining in your water. BLACK BERKEYS remove contaminants down to NON-DETECTABLE levels, including bacteria, chemicals and medications-- and trihalomethanes that make tap water poisonous.
QUESTION: What about FLUORIDE & ARSENIC?
ANSWER: PF-2 Reduction Elements utilized with BLACK BERKEY elements to adsorb unwanted elements in drinking water, namely Fluoride, Arsenic (Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III) and other residual heavy-metal ions. NOTE: Utilize PF-4 filters for WHITE ceramic filter Berkey systems
QUESTION: Why is it "WHITE FILTER" but "BLACK BERKEY ELEMENT"?
ANSWER: One is merely a FILTER (White). The other, MORE POWERFUL, actually PURIFIES water (BLACK)
QUESTION: What is “2X” or “4X”?
· 2X systems ship w/2 individual elements (or filters)
· 4X systems ship w/4 individual elements (or filters)
BERKEY systems come complete w/2 or 4 indiv. elements (or more, in multiples of 2)-- both ship as TwinPACKS. Order additional BLACK BERKEY purification elements for additional savings-- Black Berkeys have an indefinite shelf life when stored in a cool, dry place
QUESTION: What is the LIFESPAN of a BLACK BERKEY ELEMENT?
ANSWER: BLACK Berkeys last 3,000 gal. of water EACH (a laboratory MINIMUM, so with care they may last longer!)
QUESTION: Can I clean BLACK BERKEY ELEMENTS?
ANSWER: YES, simply scrub with a clean ScotchBrite pad!
STEP 1. WHITE Ceramic Sterasyl FILTERS vs. BLACK BERKEY ELEMENTS?
Decide on a white CERAMIC STERASYL FILTER system vs. a BLACK BERKEY ELEMENT system:
o White FILTERS only “filter” water by removing up to 99% of contaminants in some cases— leaving 1% in your water--
o ...which is why they’re called just “filters"-- these filters are white, made of ceramic & have a "chalky" feel. They come in 7-inch and 9-inch sizes.
o 1% is “1-in-100 parts” contamination, i.e., one molecule of contaminant per 100 molecules remaining in your filtered water
· BLACK BERKEY PURIFICATION ELEMENTS actually ‘’purify” water, with many contaminants removed to “less than detectable limits”--a far superior job than the white Sterasyl filter—the BLACK BERKEY in other words removes so many contaminants from your water that modern equipment cannot detect any contaminants remaining when your BLACK BERKEY is through purifying it--
· “Non-detectable limits” are measured as less than “parts per billion”—in other words, less than one part contaminant remaining in your water per one BILLION parts of your Black-Berkey purified water
o This is why BLACK BERKEYS are called “Purification elements”—NOT “filters"-- BLACK BERKEY ELEMENTS are black in color (hence the name!) & look like "tall candles" just like the WHITE FILTERS.
o Because of our new book, “A Year of Drinking Berkey Purified Rainwater,” we talk to many “off-the-gridders” who tell US that the BLACK BERKEY is the best water treatment element out there. Already you now know why Black Berkey systems are pricier than white
· Now you know why white systems are called “BRITISH BERKEFELD” & BLACK systems are called “BERKEYS”-- we sell more BLACK systems than white by a factor of 10:1
STEP 2: (If you have decided on a BLACK system, go to STEP 4, below.) Now you’ve decided to purchase a white CERAMIC system. white Sterasyl systems come in as follows: ALL white SYSTEMS are STAINLESS STEEL. There is no Lexan plastic white ceramic Sterasyl “Light” unitwhite systems come in two SIZES: · 7” filters · 9” filters
How to decide on the 7” vs. 9”? Smaller filters filter water at a SLOWER rate than larger filters. If time is a consideration and you want to filter water faster, go with a 9” system. (NOTE: Both 7” and 9” filters filter water IDENTICALLY efficiently— the difference is in the timeframe because more water can flow through a 9-inch-long filter than through a 7-inch filter) · FLowWOOLF sells an even number of 7- and 9-inch systems · The white CERAMIC systems do a fine job of filtering your water
STEP 3. (If considering a BLACK BERKEY system, go on to STEP 4 below.) You’re purchasing a white system. FINAL DECISION: Choose whether your system will ship with 2 (called “2X”) or 4 (called “4X”) filters total:
· ADVANTAGES of 4X: o Save some $$: Choosing a 4X system saves you money that you’d pay for a replacement set later
o TIP: Use PLUGS provided to plug 2 holes; only use 2 filters in your system; put the OTHER 2 filters in cupboard—now you have a SPARE SET-- CLEAN, DRY, NEW replacement set
· ADVANTAGES of purchasing a 2X: o Lower price
You’re FINISHED. You now know you’ll order a BRITISH BERKEFELD w/7” or 9” filters in a total-shipped quantity of 2 or 4.
-------------------BLACK BERKEY (below)--------------
STEP 4. BLACK BERKEY Decision Trail.
1st Decision: Lexan translucent plastic (“BERKEY LIGHT”) vs. Stainless Steel (Travel, Big, Royal, Imperial, Crown systems)?
· Concerned about the plastic in the BERKEY LIGHT “leaching”? Our factory Rep. told us that they could only get the plastic in the BERKEY LIGHT to “leach” AFTER it was heated beyond 500 degrees Fahrenheit o BENEFITS of BERKEY LIGHT: § You can quickly determine water level in BERKEY LIGHT just from looking at it (without having to lift lid, tiptoe up & peer inside) § Lightweight construction § Our book, “A Year of Drinking Berkey Purified Rainwater” was written about our system, our BERKEY LIGHT · Some Customers prefer the look & the feel of Stainless Steel · BERKEY LIGHT:
o $231.00 (2X)
o 2.75 gal. storage capacity
o 26½” tall x 9” diameter
o Flow rate per hour: 4.25 gallons/hr.
o Holds up to 2 elements TOTAL (use 1 or 2 elements by plugging unused hole)
o Great for small-medium sized families, travel, camping, etc.
FAMILY SIZE: How many people & animals/pets will be drinking this delicious water?
NOTE: If you want to keep a dry, spare, clean set in the cupboard after buying a 4x system—simple PLUG the un-used holes with the plugs that ship w/your system
TRAVEL BERKEY $228.00
1.5 gal. storage capacity
18” tall x 7 ½” diameter
Flow rate per hour: 2.75 gallons/hr.
Can hold up to 2 elements TOTAL (you can use 1 to 2 elements by plugging unused hole)
Great for camping, travel, small families, single family, outdoors, unexpected emergencies, contingency plans
Apartments, RVs, campers (anywhere that space is at a premium)
BIG BERKEY $258.00 (2X) or $358.00 (4X)
2.25 gal. storage capacity
Holds up to 4 elements TOTAL (use 1 to 4 elements by plugging unused holes)
19 1/4” tall x 8½” diameter
Flow rate per hour: 4.0 gallons/hr.
Small to medium sized family, travel, outdoor, emergencies, etc.
ROYAL BERKEY $283.00 (2X) or $383.00 (4X) .
3.0 gal. storage capacity
23” tall x 9½” diameter
Flow rate per hour: 5.25 gallons/hr.
Holds up to 4 elements TOTAL (use 1 to 4 elements by plugging unused holes)
For large-sized family, travel, outdoor, emergencies, etc.
IMPERIAL BERKEY $310.00 (2X) or $410.00 (4X)
4.5 gal. storage capacity
25 3/4” tall x 10” diameter
Flow rate per hour: 5.75 gallons/hr.
Holds up to 6 (six) elements TOTAL (use 1 to 6 elements by plugging unused holes)
For Groups, churches, dormitories, hospitals, sports clubs, hunting or deer blinds, outdoor, unexpected emergencies
CROWN BERKEY $325.00 (2X) or $425.00 (4X)
6.5 gal. storage capacity
30” tall x 11” diameter
Flow rate per hour: 6.75 gallons/hr.
Holds up to 8 (eight) elements TOTAL (use 1 to 8 elements by plugging unused holes)
For large groups, churches, dormitories, hospitals, sports clubs, hunting or deer blinds, outdoor, unexpected emergencies
FLowWOOLF NATURALS truly wants you to be as happy w/your BERKEY or BERKEFELD system as we at DocJody are with ours. Order a copy of our new book today, A Year of Drinking Berkey Purified Rainwater, 238-pp. illustrated—step-by-step process of how we built a potable rainwater capture system for under $600 after being told a system “would run $12,000.00” by a local contractor. Order a paperback or e-book at:
www.docjody.com under "Books"
512.423.1050 for Direct Sales
F.A.Q. "Black BERKEY vs. White Ceramic Sterasyl Filters"